The Republican Philosophy
We believe that:
- The right of individuals to achieve the best that is within themselves, as long as they respect the rights of others, is the source of our Nation’s strength.
- Government activities should be limited to those things which people cannot do at all, or cannot do themselves.
- The most effective government is government closest to the people.
- Those who cannot provide for themselves should be assisted by both government and society, but that every effort should be made to help them become self-supporting, productive citizens with pride in their independence.
- Equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity belong to all, regardless of race, creed, age, sex and national origin.
- The preservation of our Nation and the security of our citizens depend upon the Constitution, the laws and the courts, and that respect for them is the responsibility of every individual.
- Government is accountable for maintaining sound money and a responsible economy. Individual rights, liberties and properties are continually eroded when citizens are oppressed by excessive taxation, inflation, government waste and over-regulation.
- Government is responsible for national defense and that only a strong America can remain a free America.
- It is absolutely essential to maintain a strong national defense posture in order that we may at all times negotiate from a position of strength, not weakness, in our continuing efforts toward peace and friendship.
- These concepts are the foundation of our national strength and that the Republican Party, which is committed to their preservation, is the party of today, and the party for the future.